The Environmental Group provides environmental site assessment, sampling and consulting services to identify, mitigate, manage, and remediate risks at the property level for due diligence and regulatory compliance purposes. We assist clients in protecting assets, complying with environmental legislation, meeting requirements of property acquisitions, dispositions and refinancing, and protecting occupant health. Our Group includes Professional Engineers (P.Eng.) licensed by Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO), Professional Geoscientists (P.Geo.) licensed by Professional Geoscientists Ontario (PGO), project managers, and technologists.

Our Services Include:

Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs)

We conduct Phase I and II Environmental Site Assessments for due diligence (e.g. property transactions) or regulatory purposes (e.g. Record of Site Condition). A Phase I ESA is a non-intrusive investigation, consisting of a historical records review, site inspection, interview(s) and evaluation of the information attained to determine potential environmental liabilities. A Phase II ESA is an intrusive investigation that is conducted at the property to assess the soil and groundwater conditions with respect to potential contamination.

Soil and Groundwater Remediation

Should soil and/or groundwater contamination be identified at your property and require removal and/or treatment, we can develop and implement a customized remedial action plan to address the contamination and reinstate the property to acceptable provincial or federal standards.

Aboveground and Underground Tank Management (UST / AST)

We can perform the assessment, decommissioning or replacement of your fuel and/or chemical storage tanks in accordance with provincial and federal regulators.

Decommissioning / Demolition Management

We can develop demolition specifications, prepare tender documentation, and provide contract administration throughout the duration of your project, should you require the decommissioning or demolition of buildings, services and infrastructure for site closure and/or redevelopment.

Peer Review

We offer professional peer review services for existing environmental reports completed by other consultants. We examine their procedures, conclusions and recommendations to identify any data gaps and ensure the most suitable and cost-effective solutions have been presented.

Record of Site Conditions (RSCs)

We can file a Record of Site Condition (RSC) with the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) as soon as the ESA (including remedial and/or risk assessment activities) has been completed and the Qualified Person (QP) can certify that the property meets applicable site condition standards.

Environmental Risk Assessment

We offer environmental risk assessment services for both due diligence and regulatory compliance purposes. Based on the outcome of the ESA and the identification of contamination, risk assessment may be a viable option when remediation is not technically and/or financially practicable. Risk assessment is a scientific process used to describe and estimate the likelihood of adverse human health or environmental effects resulting from exposure to environmental contaminant(s).

Potable Water Sampling

We conduct potable water sampling to ensure your drinking water is safe and that you remain compliant with regulatory requirements. Potable water sampling can be conducted for a wide array of chemical and biological parameters (e.g. lead, E. coli) for all types of properties, including schools, day cares and private residences.

Environmental Compliance Approvals (ECAs)

We offer annual compliance assessments and registration for a new or revised Environmental Compliance Approval (ECA), which permits the discharge of air, water and noise, generated as a result of various industrial processes.

Legal Testimonies

We provide qualified expert testimony for court related environmental and/or civil litigation occurrences.

Soil and Groundwater Remediation

Frequently Asked Questions:

(Note – the answers to the following questions reference Ontario legislation. Call us if you have similar questions about other jurisdictions, or need help with other health and safety issues.)

RSC – what is it? How do I complete it?
A Record of Site Condition (RSC) must be filed if a property will be transitioning to a more sensitive land use than its current use (i.e. a dry-cleaning facility being redeveloped as a day care facility). A RSC can also be requested by municipalities or regional bodies as part of a site plan approval (SPA) process. RSC filing is completed by a Qualified Person (QP) who must confirm that the property meets all applicable site condition standards before it can be filed to the Environmental Site Registry.
I have a Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) order that needs to be addressed – what do I do?

Usually, if an order has been issued by the MECP, as a property owner you are required to comply with the conditions of that order or risk being penalized. As such, it is in your best interest to retain a competent environmental consultant to assist you with complying with the MECP order. Some compliance requirements may include the development of a remedial action plan within a set amount of time to ensure the eventual mitigation of site contamination.

ECA – what is it?
An Environmental Compliance Approval (ECA), formerly known as a Certificate of Approval (prior to October 31, 2011), is a permit issued by the Ontario Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) under the Environmental Protection Act. An ECA permits the discharge of air, water, and noise, generated as a result of various industrial processes, such as wastewater treatment and metal galvanizing. These approvals are designed to ensure that no regulated facility or process is adversely affecting the surrounding environment. All registered businesses are legally required to meet the specific conditions set out in the ECA.
Why and how do I remove an underground storage tank (UST)?
Under the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) Liquid Fuels Handling Code (LFHC) and Fuel Oil Code (FOC), all USTs must be removed within two (2) years of disuse. As a property owner, retaining an environmental consultant to assist you with the tank removal process is critical. The process may involve the completion of a soil and/or groundwater investigation around the tank area to determine any subsurface impacts that may be associated with the UST. Upon completion of the investigation, the environmental consultant would retain a qualified environmental contractor to assist with the safe removal and disposal of the tank and any impacted soil and/or groundwater.
I have a spill, what do I do?
The spill must be reported to the Ontario Spills Action Centre where an Environmental Officer will collect and assess all the information before determining the appropriate response. This applies to a spill on land, in water or in air. The Ontario Spills Action Centre is not only used to report spills, but also incidents of pollution. This could include industrial or commercial noise pollution and improper disposal of commercial waste. Reporting spills is legally required, particularly if you allowed the spill to occur or had control over the spilled pollutant.

Let’s talk about your project. We’re here to help!

    Sign up to receive company updates and be the first to know about new sessions, events and services.

    Visit Us

    Mississauga Office: 75 Courtneypark Drive West,
    Unit #1, Mississauga, ON L5W 0E3

    Ottawa Office: 666 Kirkwood Avenue,
    Unit 100, Ottawa, ON K1Z 5X9

    Call Us

    Mississauga - O: 905.795.2800
    TF: 1.866.231.6855
    Ottawa - O: 613.699.2295
    TF: 1.866.231.6855

    Email Us

    General Inquiries: info@ecoh.ca
    Careers: resumes@ecoh.ca
    Seminars: learning@ecoh.ca

    Contact Us